Meditation at Together We Can is introduced within the first month of a client’s treatment stay and is encouraged throughout their time here. As a client begins to adjust to new realities, we attempt to assist them in becoming centred as a way to cope with destructive thought patterns and unhealthy emotional states. We employ a number of certified counsellors and professionals that work hand-in-hand providing comprehensive therapy in the form of meditative and mindfulness techniques. Being clouded by substance misuse inhibits a person’s self-identification process. Once a person becomes abstinent, deep spiritual healing work is required to experience a fulfilling and meaningful sobriety. Clients who regularly meditate and practice mindfulness are well-equipped to confront fears and face challenges that lie ahead in early recovery.
Our Meditation Program lines up with Together We Can’s philosophy of compassion towards oneself and others. The practice of meditation helps the men in our Treatment Program still their busy minds and become more in tune with the world around them. Mindfulness paves the path to lasting and meaningful change in one’s life.
Together We Can’s Meditation Program encompasses a five-pillar approach and is continuing to expand. It includes:
- Weekly acupuncture and guided meditation sessions facilitated by Dr. TCM Kim Graham.
- Group counselling with a central focus on learning and utilizing meditation and mindfulness techniques.
- Inclusive beginner yoga classes each week which are facilitated by our certified Yoga Instructor Stefanie.
- Scheduled times for clients to participate in mindfulness meditation exercises facilitated by a TWC Counsellor.
- EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) therapy offered by Leanne Clarkson who is a Master Practitioner in Clinical Counselling.